Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Paul's Epistle to the Phillipians, Conclusion

I have been so busy that I neglected to conclude this little series on Paul's letter to the Phillippians. Sorry about that! There are just a few more points that I wanted to bring out.

In chapter 4, verse 11 of Phillippians, Paul says, "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

I think this is a great challenge for our world, our families, us individually. To learn to be content in every situation. not that we don't set goals and strive for better, but that we don't whine & complain about everything! We should count our blessings and be grateful for what we do have. It is so easy to see the negative side of everything. But everything also has a positive side. We must train ourselves to be content in "whatsoever state" we are in! In verse 6, Paul basically teaches us that we shouldn't be overly concerned about anything! President Hinckley taught this very well by his example. He always believed that everything would work out. . .one way or another, everything will be ok.

Verse 12 of chapter 4: "I know both how to be abased and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." Paul had learned how to be humble and accept difficult circumstances as well as how to be humble and receive of the Lord's abundance!

The last great thing that I want to touch upon here is that we can do anything because we are strengthened by Christ. Chapter 4, verse 13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." What a GREAT thing! I am reminded of a talk from our recent Stake Conference. The speaker said that the best way to get strength in the midst of our trials is through our faith in Jesus Christ. He and He alone can give us the strength to accomplish, to succeed, to come off conquerer! I know this to be true. I know He can and will help us through whatever we must pass through. He will help us endure through all that we must live with. He loves us just that much. He wants to have us back to live with Him again.

How grateful I am for our scriptures. For the Apostle Paul. For his teachings, his example, his willingness to be so much for so many. I am so grateful for the Gospel. For all that I am given daily. I want to stay the course! I want to keep the faith! I want to finish the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment