Saturday, April 25, 2009

Paul's Epistle to the Phillippians, III

So the next thing that I want to point out that Paul teaches is that we should forget the trials of the past and press forward to the future. He says, "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

I don't think that "forgetting those things which are behind" means we abandon the lessons learned but rather that we don't continue to suffer and stir up past trials. Some trials, we pass through. Gain the strength, learn the lessons, and move on! There are, for certain, going to be more trilas to pass through! There are also some trials which we must learn to live with. These, I believe, we must allow to grow with us though. These type of trials attempt to define us. While such trials for me have, in my mind, defined what type of person I am, I don't want to be known for "the one ______" (fill in the blank for whatever trial(s) I am having to live with)! Does that make sense?!

My "BIG" trials (Laurie Ann's death, Roland's illness, there's others but they don't need to be listed). . .these things for me have shaped me, refined me, helped me to be spiritually stronger, enabled me to become more reliant upon my Savior. I don't want, however, for everyone who knows me to say, "Oh, that's Patti Merrill. The one who's daughter died" or "who's husband is so sick". It's ok that people know these things about me, but I don't want that to be what defines me. If you looked up "Patti Merrill" in the dictionary, I don't want my trials to be listed!!! Rather, I would want things like faithful, valiant, kind, loving, compassionate, etc.


(Ok, anyone out there reading this?!!! Share with me your thoughts on these things. How do you feel about what Paul's teachings teach us? Give me your perspective on the whole enduring our trials thing!)

1 comment:

  1. I have so many trials in my life that sometimes I feel like I'm in court. Thankfully we have a righteous Judge. I like your blog site, it's very nice.

    ReplyDelete